Re: Neon Indicator Lights for Increasing Voltage?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Tedd Payne" <teddp2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi All,
I think somewhere I've seen or heard of a "ladder" of neon bulbs (the common
little AC indicator type) which lights up in sequence with increasing
voltage.  Can someone point me to such a circuit?
Thanks
Tedd

Hi Tedd,

Because neon lights have significant variation in turn-on voltage and their turn on voltages will be significantly higher than their extinguishing voltages, it will be very difficult to make neon indicator lamps work accurately in a voltage sensing/indicating circuit.

However, you could use a series of voltage comparators to create a bar indicator driver, but it's probably easier to simply use an inexpensive chip and and an LED bar display or discrete LED's. You can add an appropriate voltage divider ahead of the chip voltage input to scale the voltage for your needs. These display drivers come in either linear analog or log scaling (dB).

For example, see the following devices from National Semiconductor:
http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM3914.pdf  (linear scaling)
http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM3915.pdf  (dB scaling)
http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/voltmon/tutorial-full.html

In an 18 pin DIP package, the LM3914 is $2.70 in unit quantities from Digi-Key.

Best regards,

-- Bert--
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print