RE: Am I "OFF"

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt-at-socket-dot-net>

I went out to the shed and checked and my numbers are a little off from
where I started.  As of today.
Torrid is 4" dia alum dryer duct, alum tape at joint only, mounted on
sheet of .032 alum ,  C/L of torrid is 6" above top of sec winding ,
Sec is 20.75 long, wire is enamel covered, .022 dia (what I had)
Pri is .187 tube, .437 spacing = .25 gap
Spark Gap is .370, 3/16 Tungsten rods with air.
S/W caps checked 6.5 nF.

I first built a RQ type gap out 7/8 dia Ti tubes but was told to go to
single gap with the 30 mil trans

I am trying to get the feel of this before I build one with my
13Kv,.150ma xformer ,(non-NST)

Rich

Original poster: Dsurfr-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Rich,
I assume you mean 12" long streamers when you wrote:

"My first try with a 15kv 30ma coil produces about 12 sparks with only a
"pop""

We'll need a little more information on your coil to be of help. What
gauge
wire did you use on your Secondary coil and is 19" the actual winding
length? Would you describe your Primary coil's construction?
My first guess from what you said would be that your toroid is too
large.
My twin coils are 3"x18" of 24AWG and I currently use a 3"x14" toroid.
This
gives about 22" of streamer when run as a single coil off a 15Kv 30mA
xfrmr. with a 7.5 nf cap & is quite "noisy".
Jim