Re: strange variac

Some variacs vary, but usually the 120 VAC input is placed across terminals
1 & 4.  Output is terminal 3.  Check with voltmeter between 3 and 4 to
determine correct 120 VAC output.  Sometimes the hot is on 4 and common
(neutral) is 1, and other times the hot and netrual are reversed, ie, hot on
1 and common on 4.

Dr. Resonance