Re: possible sources for sheet lead and mineral/ transformer oil?

At 05:47 PM 10/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com
>Hi, well I looked up the price for sheet lead at McMaster Carr and here is
>what I found:
>
>12" x 24" X 0.042" are $19.56 Each. Part Number 9032K119.
>
>I am also going to be doing some radiation shielding and would like to
>note that this thickness of lead is just over two "tenth value"
>thicknesses (0.039") for 70 KeV x-rays. What this means is that one layer
>of this material will reduce the radiation levels by 100, for instance, if
>you have a tube putting out 10 R/minute this will reduce the exposure rate
>to 100mR/minute. Then use the inverse square law for exposure at a given
>distance.
>
>Also remember that it is a very good idea to ware safety glasses when
>experimenting with Tesla coils and vacuum tubes, as they protect against
>not only shattering glass, but also against "soft" x-rays. Soft x-rays can
>cause cataracts in the cornea.

Uhh... which safety glasses will stop soft x-rays?  The usual polycarbonate
won't stop much of anything energetic (except perhaps neutrons, which it
might slow down a bit).  Most glass won't stop xrays, unless it's been
loaded with something (iron, lead, etc.).