RE: Coil Woes

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

My cap size selection was determined by an experiment I performed with
different sizes between .01 and .05uF, in .01uF increments.  For each
size I determined the relative power delivered to the primary.  See
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2004/April/msg01087.html for complete
details.  The bottom line was that with my particular NST, operating at
140VAC in, the most power (C*V*V) was delivered using a .04uF cap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Hi Gary,

Have you tried 2.8 * Cres with your 7x30 toroid?  I would think that
with 4
* Cres, you would not be able to charge to full output voltage.  You
might
get greater bang energy with a smaller cap.   With my 15/60 setup, I get
the
caps charged to 24KV with 2.5 * Cres.

Gerry R.