Re: Long Pulse IGBT GDT design

Original poster: "B2" <bensonbd-at-boo-dot-net>

e-mail-19263

Hi Dave,
     I used a Radio Shack 120V to 12V transformer for the same purpose
(choice arrived at by trial and error).  I tried a few toroids.  They were
all too fast and the L/R was too short for my need.  A floating pulse
stretcher circuit was considered, but the design time was not
available.  In the end, I decided on a long L/R with a clipper.   I had to
build a simulator that duplicated a bomb droping off a jet and being armed
while it was simultaneously being struck with lightning (fun test).  I
needed to simulate a 0.1 second pulse using power mosfets (IRF450).  The
gate (series) resistor was around 100 Ohms (adjust for your L/R).  A 15
Volt zener diode and 50 ohm resistor in parallel with the gate clipped the
extra voltage. That is all that I can remember, as I do not have access to
the circuit. Hope that is helpful.

Barry