RE: PT Ballast Question

Original poster: Henry.Hurrass-at-aps-dot-com

A couple years ago, we built a large Jacob's ladder using two GE
Hi-Butte 350 PT's hooked back-to-back. They're rated at 40,250 volts
each to ground (69kv phase to phase), 5000VA, and have two 115 volt
(secondary) windings. We connected the 115 volt secondaries in series
and, for current limiting, used three 500 foot spools of #10 THHN
stranded wire on each transformer, for a total of six spools. Each
transformer was then effectively limited to 25 amps each for a total
line current of about 50 amps; just over the transformers' thermal
rating. We used a powerful fan to try to keep the spools cool, but still
were forced to a "five minute on, 30 minute off" duty cycle. This baby
used a TON of electricity, weighed about a half a ton, and produced an
enormous power arc.

My suggestion: use a many spools of wire you need to get good results
without exceeding the VA limit of the transformer too much and keep an
eye on the "spool temperature", or, use a neon sign transformer. They
are designed as such that even a dead short won't hurt them. I once
measured the power consumed by a neon sign transformer and actually
found less watts consumption with the secondary shorted than with the
secondary open!

Good Luck,
Henry "Hankenstein" Woo