AC motor speed control question

Original poster: "michael curtiss" <lucknau-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all,

I accidently sent a blank email as my first post ever
to this group.  My apologies.

I'm building an SRSG, and want to make a speed
controller circuit for my AC motor.

What I've been reading is that there's a danger of
kickback spikes when trying to vary AC current with
something like a variac.  There're a lot of references
out there to a motor speed control circuit on John
Freau's site, but the link no longer exists.  I'm
wondering if anyone knows of a good way (and/or
schematic) to safely vary the speed of an AC motor.

thanks,
Michael Curtiss