Re: x-ray with small Tesla coil as driver

Original poster: "Jack Vandam" <snotoir7674g-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Hi David,

Certain "party bulbs" will produce x-rays.  I cannot recall which specific
brands offhand, but I remember confirming this about 10 years ago.  I wrote
and asked one of the firms making the bulbs what the vacuum was and it was
in the milliTorr range and not backfilled in the 25 watt sizes and less.
These bulbs today might be a different story though and I would guess that
the new ones are probably backfilled.  I haven't actually measured the
output from the Edison bulb, but based loosely on some info I've read about
similar set ups, the R levels are between .5-1/ min at the 50 Kv level.
This is still a hazard (and adds up quickly from repeated exposures), but
nowhere near the output from controlled filament tubes at 20-50 R/min.

Jack