Geek Group Science and Technology Fair and Teslathon

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Ladies and Gentlemen!

The Geek Group will be hosting a well-publicized science and technology
fair/Teslathon on Saturday, October 30 from noon until 5, with the
Teslathon lasting until "late," at our Avalon Science Facility in
Kalamazoo, Michigan.  In addition to our usual high voltage and high energy
"toys," we will have displays, demonstrations, and informative talks on
many aspects of science and technology set up for the public.  Our "usual
toys" consist of Gemini, our 12kVA Twin Tesla Coils, and Thumper, our
electrolytic capacitor discharge bank (now with 180 capacitors!), our new,
not-yet-functional 50W YAg laser, our portable demo fusor, and too many
more to be named.  We are actively publicizing this event on the local
college campusses and the local K-12 school district, and expect somewhere
between 200 and 1000 visitors during the 5 hour event (we had about 250 at
our Grand Opening on July 31).

The Teslathon will be going on more or less continuously throughout the
day, but we expect that most attendees will be more interested in the other
goings-on than the thon.  So we plan to keep the festivities going by
allowing Teslathon attendees to stay until they're too tired to play
anymore.  The Avalon Science Facility has room for Steve Ward's monster
DRSSTC *indoors*, so time of day is not much of a concern.  But we do have
a nice area just outside our main lab for very large Tesla Coils, should
someone desire to bring a certifiably gargantuan TC.  We have both 120/240
and 480V 3ph easily available.

This would be a wonderful opportunity for people to come out and see
first-hand what The Geek Group is all about as well as show off some toys
to the public and other HV enthusiasts.  For instance, Bert Hickman's
wonderful Lichtenberg Figure display would be a great hit with the crowd,
as would Terry Blake's high-power green laser and beautiful
secondaries.  (yes this is a big hint ;) )

People who plan to attend need not respond, but we would appreciate a
reponse from those who plan to bring something to show so that we can plan
space and power/lighting accordingly.  We can have space available for
swap/trade items, should this also be desired.  We can supply a list of
local hotels for out-of-towners as well.

Please respond to me directly so that we keep a single go-to person.  Thank
you.

See you there!!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group