RE: DRSSTC design procedure - draft

Original poster: "McCauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

5: We now know enough to design the resonator. At breakout time, 0.33 of
the total energy is in the resonator. Use this to calculate the topload
voltage, and choose the toroid so that its breakout voltage is about the
same as the voltage you worked out. You may have to iterate here, as
changing the toroid changes the capacitance. Also check that the voltage
doesn't add up to more than about 1.1kV per mm of resonator (to avoid
hassles with flashover)

Sounds interesting Steve.  I'll send you a copy of my data (PDF), and
you can hopefully compare the data.  I don't have much time to do it
myself.

Also, i think selection of toroid really isn't based on the break-out
voltage.  Remember, we almost always use
break-out points and by doing this, it drastically changes the actual
break-out voltage.

Dan