Re: explanation of sparks into air needed

Original poster: "BunnyKiller" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Since this is a Tesla Coil  based system,  I will assume you need to
explain the sparks/streamer action of the coil and to where they are going
when not contacting a grounded object.

here it goes   my best explination   ( im not a physicist  :)   )

since we are dealing with AC  voltages and currents, the field surrounding
the toriod is pulsating at whatever frequency your coil is designed for...
the atom/molecules of air recieve energy from this field and become ionized
( the electrons get powered up to a higher orbit field)  thus an energy
transfer in general.  next, the higher powered electrons eventually loose
the capacity to stay in the unnatural orbit and fall back into the orbit
they usually exist in. when they do that, the energy they had is released
as a photon...   thus the purple/blue colors of the streamers   ( the
photons of certain gasses produce specific colors
nitrogen purple range   oxygen blue/white depending on voltage and current
..   if you ran a Tesla Coil in a helium/neon enviroment the streamers
would be red )

okay...now for streamer propigation    ( im guessing at this one)  since
the toroid is not perfectly smooth, there exists points to where the
electrons on the surface of the toroid tend to collect more so than the
average suface   ( electrons like points   seems that the voltage would be
higher at these points)  since we have possibly a higher differential in
voltage at these points, the act of ionization of the surrounding gas is
more prone to occur here. Once ionization occurs, the conductivity of that
gas becomes much greater. Thus a streamer is born....

now as far as streamer propigation that moves around a toroid ( one that is
smooth)  I guess its like the weather...   convection action of the
surrounding gasses cause a constant movement of air and thus the excess
electrons moving about the toroid looking for the path of least
resistance...  finding the point where conduction can occur.

Scot D