Re: Weird safety gap behaviour

Original poster: FIFTYGUY-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/6/04 3:50:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

 > It works out to approx 0.95 Volts/turn for the HV windings.  Primary is
 >  usually 180 turns of # 16 AWG.

     Shouldn't the Volts/turn theoretically be the same between all windings,
primary and secondary? At 180 turns on the primary, with 120 volts in that
gives .66 Volts/turn. I would think the effective volts/turn would be less
at the
HV secondaries because of shunt losses, etc.
     I think it would be interesting, as Ed suggests, to put a test winding of
5 or so turns around both the primary and secondary cores and see what
voltages they put out.
     Since the NST's are so strongly ferromagnetic, one could run one with a
switching input using the new test winding like a flyback...

-Phil LaBudde