Re: EBAY auctions and SNIPING - tesla coil parts

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

 > I remember something about using sniping programs on ebay.  I don't see
one
 > now, but the only other time I would have perused the rules was in late
 > 2000 (I was using a PC in Sensors Lab, which was fall semester of 2000)
 > when I had to retract my bid on an AMD Athlon 650 chip.  Or, perhaps it's
 > just my lack of a 100% comprehension and long-term retention rate. <insert
 > rolling eyes smilie here>
 >
 > "Always" and "never" are incredibly powerful words: use them with care. ;)
 >
 > Respectfully,
 >
 > Mark Broker

Mark,

As an active member of the Ebay since its early beginnings, I can assure you
that there were "never" any rules against sniping in the history of EBAY.

Here is attached a discussion on Ebay' Community Board regarding rules
against sniping . . .

While this technique is not without controversy - mostly from disgruntled
sellers or competing bidders - it is permitted on most online auction sites
including eBay. In fact, an eBay Community Development representative
related eBay's position on one of eBay's message boards:

   From: daphne-at-eBay-dot-com
   Topic: Re: Snipers How To Workshop

   Just for the record, contrary to what some people think, there's no rule
against "sniping," or bidding in the last moments of the auction. You will
hear all kinds of debates about which method (proxy bidding or sniping) is
more effective, and eBay would recommend proxy bidding, but bidding at the
last moment of the auction is perfectly acceptable and legal. :)

   Daphne
   eBay Community Development

   Regards,

   Dan