Re: Coil Doesn't Fire

Original poster: "Bart Anderson" <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Jim,

I agree that the problem sounds like a charging issue. However, I also note
your coupling is rather low (0.115). While modelling your coil, I noticed
the highest coupling possible was 0.148 with your current setup. This was
done by lowering the secondary, but I ended up 7 inches below the primary
just to get to the 0.148 value.

Obviously, 7 inches below the primary lowest turn is ridiculous, especially
for an inverse cone primary. This is all due to the very wide primary to
secondary clearance of 3.25" when the secondary bottom turn is even with
the bottom primary turn. You can help out the coupling a great deal by
adding 2 turns within the inner primary so that the primary inner radius
ends up at 3.5". Your coil should then tune in at 261 kHz at turn 14.25,
and your coupling will be up around 0.144 if the bottom secondary turn is
even with the inner primary turn (1 inch clearance). Your are then in range
to make coupling adjustments to benefit your particular coils behaviour.
Also, you will have 2 outer turns available for tuning adjustments should
you change toploads or other misc. improvements.

I'm not saying this is your current problem, but it is something which you
will want to correct sooner than later. In the mean time, a description of
what you see and hear at the gap would be helpful to all.

Take care,
Bart B.

Original poster: JBarrett-at-trumbullcorp-dot-com