Re: Hurricane notes - Pensacola Thon

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi all,

I was thinking the same thing. Here in central Florida I have seen a variety
of overhead power distribution gear laying on ground thanks to Charley and
Frances..
In particular a charred power pole with two small ( they look like the
smallest I have seen) pigs still attached and one conveniently laying next
to it.
Its has its HV bushings broken and has been blackened by the heat of the
fire it caused.
I was thinking that its thermal mass would have protected its transformer
from the heat.
I  was wondering how difficult it would be for one man to lift it in to a
mini van?
Yes it must belong to the utility company so I am just brain storming well
at the moment anyway. But it is very very tempting.
Just sitting there 8ft from the road.

Yes there must be a scrap yards where these discarded pigs end up and
perhaps can be purchased for the price of their scrap copper.
I surprised that charred one has not already been picked up by one of the
teams of scrap metal collectors that combed the area picking up the remains
of aluminum porches and siding that was all over the place.

I just heard on the weather report an eddy from of Ivan made its way all the
way back to central Florida and is dropping more rain on us.
Most of our lakes and rivers just at or above flood level so Ivan may get us
yet.  Many people with lake side properties are watching there yards
disappear and there is a third storm forming,

Bob Jones

Subject: Re: Hurricane notes - Pensacola Thon