Re: DRSSTC thoughts...

Mike:

Ever tried hooking one of your 600 kW induction heater circuits to a classic
Tesla coil (minus the spark gap of course)?

It might be an interesting experiment --- just before the secondary melts!

Dr. Resonance

 > Hi Terry, Steve and everyone,
 >     About the cooling issues, especially the die's, and whole devices, I
like
 > water cooling. Distilled water of course and non-conductive hose, ~1 foot
 > per kV in length and then some safety factor. At work we routinely use it
 > cooling the big triodes of induction heaters of 600 kW output class and
also
 > for the "hockey puck" large SCR's controlling the 480 volt 3 phase to the
 > transformer primary. Leakage to ground is not a problem with good water, a
 > non-iron pump and heat exchanger.
 > Even the solid state machines use water cooling, be they the older "fast"
 > SCR type or IGBT type.
 > On the larger tube machines at ~450 kHz and down (280 kHz typical on
 > thermatool pipe welders) we have no problem with water cooling 22,000
volts
 > at 30 amp power supplies.
 > It does help to have a corona ring /cone the first foot from the water
 > jacket (anode) around the feed/drain hoses as they pull away from that
water
 > jacket to the hose trap / coil wound to get enough feet before hitting the
 > feed and drain manifolds, otherwise that end(s) dielectric heat somewhat.
 > But for that kind of voltage DC and RF, this is not so hard to do and one
 > ring protects both hoses.
 > For the power levels spoken of on the coils, a very modest pump and
 > exchanger would be very easy to do and is quiet.
 > Even the CQK-650 tube, tetrode, is rated at 22 kV, 100 amps anode (CW),
1.77
 > output Mw with 900 watts signal grid drive, used on VOA is water cooled
 > without problems. Our old tube re-building division used to rebuild them
and
 > the smaller CQK-450. Point being water and electricity do mix if done
right.
 > Regards,
 > Mike

But
 >  >  > monsters like the fabulous Powerex CM600HA-24H my be too heavily
 > designed
 >  >  > for "power" when what we need is "current".  It can "officially" do
 > 1200
 >  >  > amps peak which is nice but I know we don't need the 4200 watts of
 > power
 >  >  > dissipation ;-))
 >  >
 >  > Yeah exactly.  They also didnt strive to minimize stray L inside the
 >  > bricks either.  Greg Leyh wrote an article on this... cant remember
 >  > where to find it though.  As we push these IGBTs harder and harder the
 >  > little things like stray L inside the IGBT will add up quick!  And
 >  > heck, we'd be doing something bad if we dissipated over 50W per IGBT
 >  > (unless it was a REALLY big system).  Even with making 11 footers, my
 >  > IGBTs stay cold to the touch.
 >  >
 >  >    So I wish to remind of the simple IR IRG4PH50UD.  A lowly
 >  >  > 24 amp rated TO247AC IGBT with diode.  But it uses a great big die
in a
 >  >  > small package thus it's 180 Amp peak rating ;-))
 >  >
 >  > Yeah, thats a tough little guy!
 >  >
 >  >    Note that some people
 >  >  > have put a lot more current through them like this one happily
eating
 > 700+
 >  >  > amps :o))
 >  >  >
 >  >
 >  > If only the bigger IGBTs could withstand such abuse.  I only run my
 >  > CM300s at 2X their peak rating.
 >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Above about 740 amps, the signal starts "flat topping" do to the
fact
 > that
 >  >  > the gate structure simply cannot support more current no matter how
 > high
 >  >  > the gate voltage is.  BTW ­ I note a lot of folks no longer worry
much

 >  >  > about the maximum gate voltage specs :o))
 >  >
 >  > Seems that 30V or so is common now, at least thats what i always use.
 >  >
 >  >    But suppose we just
 >  >  > can't find them "cheap" or want new IGBTs without spending $1300...
 > Then
 >  >  > using a few of the little IRG4PH50UD IGBTs may start to be a good
 >  >  > deal.  They cost $16 a "pop".  If you get $1300 worth of them, you
have
 > 20
 >  >  > IGBTs per leg at 3600 amps peak "rated" and 14000 amps "unrated"!!
So
 > it
 >  >  > may be useful to consider a "multi-mini IGBT" (MMIGBT ;-)) array in
 > some
 >  >  > cases.
 >  >
 >  > Yeah, that certianly is impressive.  And it seems that you could take
 >  > more control of problems with stray L.  Then again, how to minimize
 >  > inductance on a layout consisting of so many individual devices is
 >  > quite a feat!
 >  >
 >  >   However, Dan's data shows the primary current can almost
 >  >  > double during a ground strike!!  That is a critical bit of info!!
Do
 > the
 >  >  > models show that behavior too?
 >  >
 >  > Ive simulated this in some of my models.  My big coil has active
 >  > current limiting to keep things "safe" under these conditions.
 >  > Shorter, heavier arcs make things much worse as they present lower
 >  > impedances.
 >  >
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Of course, if off the self IGBTs just are not right, check this
DigiKey

(http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45045&item=384297461