Re: Exact design for lossless SSTCs

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "jimmy hynes" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Yeah, that's what I was doing. I eventually decided to skip that approach.
 > Once sparks started
 > flying, it was very difficult to keep a good notch. Getting bigger sparks
 > wasn't easy either.
 > Getting bigger bangs meant more cycles and a lower k, so tuning and
 > streamer loading was even more
 > important.

This is really a problem. But even with the range of k usual for
capacitor
discharge coils a large increase in voltage gain is possible. The
problem
is that this may be not enough, since the input voltage is in the
hundreds of Volts, not in the thousands.

 > At one point, my current transformer broke, so I started tuning for largest
 > sparks instead (too
 > lazy to fix it :p). That method ended up giving bigger sparks, so I decided
 > to abandon the old
 > idea. The streamer load does keep the primary current down, so there isn't
 > too much energy just
 > going into the primary and back to the lytics.

What kind of input current waveform did you get with this approach?
I see that there are usually three possibilities that result in "soft
switching" (input voltage in phase with the input current): One is
to drive the system exactly between the resonances (what I am
proposing).
The others are at the resonances (impressive results, but somewhat
dangerous for the driver).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz