Re: Static Gaps vs Rotary Spark Gaps

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hey All..

I sent Benjamin my SD spark gap.. hopefully he will be able to use it in his design... it worked for me fantastically on my NST coil...

if you are interested in the design see this page

http://members.cox.net/bunikllr/sprk.htm

its the photo of the "smaller version of the SD gap" picture...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ben,

I would go static for your first coil and considering your budget and time constraints. Static gaps are easier to deal with. Use 5/8 copper pipes say 3in long. Glue them on to a piece of acrylic using some 5 minute epoxy and a feeler guage to get the spacing at say 35 mils. The axis of the pipes should be parallel to each other and the pipes side by side (not end to end). Use a 100 cfm muffin fan to cool the pipes. Use a three terminal safety gap properly set so it will fire in case you set the main gap too wide. You may want to provide enough gaps to total between 250 and 300 mils. You can always short out gaps to reduce the total gap. Start with 200 mils and increase until your safety gap starts firing and then reduce total gap by one gap.

With the muffin fan and 15KV 30ma, your pipes should stay reasonably cool. Scuff up the plastic before gluing. Quick and easy way to get a gap running.

Gerry R.