Re: About MOTs..

At 04:29 PM 4/7/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: "Mercurus2000" <mercurus2000@xxxxxxx>

This question has probably been asked before, I want to connect the high voltage output of a small like 600 watt MOT I have to the 120 side of a really large MOT like 1000w to get about 20-30KV out, I'll vacuum pot the MOTs in oil and cut the center ground on the large MOT to prevent arcing, does anyone see a problem with this? Will I have to use some sort of current limiting even tho I'm using a little 600 watt MOT for the primary transformer?
Adam

YOu've got a lot of problems with doing this...

Typical MOT is 120V in 2400V out (or thereabouts).. so it has a 20:1 winding ratio.

Cascading them would, in a perfect world, give you 20*2400 V out (48kV)..

You'll never get that, not because of breakdown, but because the primary of the second transformer will be horribly saturated by putting 2400V on it.

I doubt you could put 150V into a MOT without encountering saturation.

If you're going to the trouble of potting or oil immersion, why not hook primaries in parallel and secondaries in series. Many people have run 4 in series to get 8-10 kV out. Some have even run 6 in series.