Re: tungsten carbide magnetic?

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Scot (or is that Elmer Fudd),

No apology necessary. All I needed to do was ask, right :o)). Besides we all do it.

So I conclude that my 1/8" tungsten rod will be fine when I switch to a 5KVA PIG that I will try to run at 8KVA.

Gerry R

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

sorry for being so directive towards David and not the list :)
Im running 2 14.4 KVAC piggies in series for 28.8KVAC + ( im using variacs to go beyond28.8 up to approx. 30KVAC total output) the 280VAC input is drawing 65 A for an estimated 18KW ( roughly) on a full power run.... so in effect this gives one an idea on how much power is being dissapated thru the gaps ( not even to consider the Peak wattage at discharge of gap conduction... ) ruff estimate at .014mF 30KV = 6.30J and at 120BPS should equal 755W per pop
thats alot of heat... :) the doubling of diameter of the rod increases the power handling capacity squared...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Gerald  Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

but do you need that extra diameter? I am using 1/8" dia pure welding tungsten no thorium ( and you know what power Im dealing with ;) ...

I'm afraid I dont know your power. What is the max power for 1/8" pure tungsten, if I may ask? (well heat sinked). Also power levels for 1/4 and 3/8 rod if you know them.

Gerry R.