Re: turnoid question

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/11/05 8:49:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hello all,

I'm new to this list and I am a senior in civil engineering (formerly
electrical engineering) at Ohio University. I have a bit of free time this
quarter during the weekdays and decided to build my first tesla coil. I seem
to be having a little trouble deciding on how to construct a turnoid. I
realize that the better the turnoid, the longer the streamers - so I want to
make this good, without spending too much cash. I was thinking of forming some
chicken wire into a donut shape and then wraping that in aluminum foil. I
would greatly appreciate any alternate suggestions or comments on that plan.

John Krinks

Hi John and welcome!
Several people have used chicken wire both with and without coverings successfully. It is also not unusual to add rings of plywood for rigidity. I live "down the road a piece" from you, Charleston, WV and am essentially housebound. I have a number of 50-100 yr old measuring instruments and a few up to date ones and a modest library of vintage texts. Also a 10ft X 10ft X 8ft caged coil room with 120Vx30A, 240Vx30A and 120Vx50A power soiurces, and a 5KVA gasoline-powered generator set. If your interested in dropping down sometime let me know off-list and I'll put on the coffee.

Matt D.