Re: Fiberglassing a 8 Inch PVC form

Original poster: robert heidlebaugh <rheidlebaugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eric. Advice from experience. Fiber-glass appears to bond, IT DOSEN'T. If
you first spray a coating of clear laquer then start your fiber glass the
solvent in the laquer will make a bonding surface of the wet surface. If you
do not the fiber glass and PVC have a very differant coef of expansion and
at cold temprature the fiberglass portion will break free and the windings
will move.  The problem is that it dosent move evenly and you will get
spaces/cracks in your windings of up to 1 inch. I have never had a broken
winding  , but cracks look very bad and require patching.Why the cracks only
open up and never close I dont know but its a mess. wet spray first then
fiber glass and avoid trouble.
   Robert   H