Re: tubecoil

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/17/05 9:14:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Original poster: Vladimiro Mazzilli <mazvla@xxxxxx>
>
> There is a great increase of interest in SSTC but
> the old and rugged and
> spectacular tubecoils are forgotten? I have recorded
>  225 messages in
> 1998, 231 in 1999, 396 in 2000, 509 in 2001, 418 in
> 2002, 548 in 2004,
> and now only 2 in 2005 for me that built some sstc,
> there are nothing so
> warm and hissing as a VTTC.
>
> Vladi

Hi Vladi,

There is an implicit assumption that any new way is always a better way and 99% of the people will want to drop everything else and try the new way. According to the advertising hype of the 1950s, vacuum tubes were going to be totally extinct within 20 years.
IMO, VTTCs and even SGTCs are much more aesthetically appealing than the rows of little boxes where "something must be happening inside." (running cooler does not make you 'cool')
When the "newness wears off", interest will return.

Matt D.