Re: If you had this supply and switch, what would you build?

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 7:11 PM Subject: Re: If you had this supply and switch, what would you build?

> Original poster: David Speck <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Guys, > > I've often wondered what would happen if you just connected an > appropriately sized primary to the unmodified output of the induction > heater, and then added a Tesla secondary. Wouldn't you have pretty much a > complete VTTC? It seems like that's all you'd need, or am I missing > something? Big induction heaters come up frequently on eBay, and can be > had for little more that shipping costs. Would the typical output > frequency of an induction heater be too low for decent TC performance?

There are induction heaters (and plasma etchers) in all the ISM bands...
13.5 MHz, 27 MHz, as well as lower.

> Has anyone figured a maximum size limit to a VTTC?

There is no maximum size, only a maximum budget.  There are megawatt class
tubes available for 1MHz service (AM "Border Blaster" stations).  I'm sure
there are megawatt induction heaters around.

 I often wonder if you
> could get one of those 10 or 20 kW Eimac triodes off eBay and drive it
with
> a farm of MOT's with a 12" x 60" secondary.  Has anyone tried making
> something like this?

Sure.. you'll find that in this sort of thing that the mechanical design and
supporting components can cost more than the tube.  You'll need high RF
power tank caps, etc.  Not to mention a good PS.

> Would there be personal risks due to a high CW EM field?
Probably...
Go get the FCC documents (google for OET Bulletin 65) and start doing the
calculations... not too tough to figure it out.  If you're capable of
designing a 10kW tube oscillator, you're capable of estimating fields.