RE: Who all has built OLTCs?

Hi,

At 04:00 AM 4/22/2005, you wrote:
>Part of delay is getting
>my test and assembly "infrastructure" ready

That's easy, I just clear the dishes off the kitchen table ;-) Terry uses
the floor in his spare room by the looks of it.

Yep! I went to pick up the corona ring for my magnifier yesterday and it was all wet. A clogged rain gutter was filling up the window well. Shop vac and a fan got it dried up quick though. I need to start a project to clean those rooms out of junk. Seems like hobbies just "fill" every room no matter what the size.

>I got my semi-auto coil winding machine finally completed
>and debugged

Gah! I could do with one of those. I tried winding my DRSSTC secondary by
hand and it was a disaster!

Straight after winding- looks nice
http://scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/nicewinding.jpg

The next morning- a mess due to differential expansion of the copper wire
and HDPE former (or something)
http://scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/wonkywinding.jpg

I'm going to rewind it and varnish immediately after winding this time.

My Small Coil secondary just fell apart today too (it was 7 years old). All the windings slide on the form and smashed at the ends. The glue and varnish never stuck to the PVC pipe. I think the windings need to be tacked down every few inches or something to keep them in place. Drying the form helps to shrink it so it should only get tighter. The varnished secondary fell off in funny sections like this:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/CoilSections.JPG

I re-sanded the form with very rough sand paper this time so maybe the rough surface will help hold it too. Have to see if I have enough wire around here to rewind still.

I always wind pretty tight. My first coil windings fell and collapsed like yours. So I try to really wind the wire very tight so it "springs" just a little bit and will not fall loose. So far it seems to work. I am not using varnish on any of my new coils. I just wind the wire very tight and use shrink wrap to cover them.

Anyway, whether you decide to build a DRSSTC, an OLTC or even some new kind
of XYZSSTC we've never heard of, I wish you the very best of luck!

I also look forward to seeing what Dave comes up with!!!

Cheers,

        Terry

Steve Conner