Re: 3 Gange PowerStat 146U-3 Variac Problem :-(

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,
You could be dealing with a heat shrink fit there.
The also often to this on motor sleeves, all sorts of things.
Think in terms of expanding when hot by a few thousandths and when it
cools, presto, nice tight fit.
I have tech supported a guy that had a generator mounted on his truck
along with a 10 kW solid state induction heater. His thing was dig a trench
with a machine for laying down pipe. At his shop in the morning, he would
take one end of 20 feet pipe sections, heat them with the induction machine,
slip in a sleeve a certain distance, as the pipe cooled quickly, it held the sleeve.
When he got to the job site, he had a whole bunch of pipes with a sleeve in
one end. With a welding cable feed and a 50 KC heater, he then heated the
pipe end with no sleeve,m slipped it into the next pipe end with a sleeve and
built a pipe line. Takes maybe 30 seconds per joint. Fit is so tight when
cooled that it is steam, water and gas tight. Works great.
I think maybe that is not pressed, it may just be heat shrunk.
Get over 700 degrees F, target should expand a few 1000ths, pull
and go.
Mike