Re: Tesla Coils & Ball Lightning

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Malcolm,

> Who knows? He doesn't exactly spell it out.
> Moreover, if one takes at
> least some eyewitness accounts of ball lightning at
> face value, and
> taking into account that there is far more energy
> behind lightning
> events than has ever been put into manmade sparks,
> it would appear
> unlikely that his speculation re the destructive
> nature of manmade
> fireballs if they exist or can be produced is true.
>
> Malcolm

I agree.  It would be interesting if someone was able
to interview people who research lightening for a
living, in order to take a survey of how many people
in that line of work have reported ball lightning
sightings.  Scientists have been able to artificially
direct strikes of natural lightning during a
thunderstorm by launching rockets which trail a
grounded wire.  I would like to know how many (if any)
of those events are associated with ball lightning
sightings.

What about large Marx banks and similar impulse
generators?  Would this be a good starting point for
someone who was trying to stumble upon a method for
replicatable ball lightning production?  It would seem
to be a more reasonable way to reproduce the
conditions found in a natural ground strike, rather
than a tesla coil.  Any comments?

-Brett