Re: Safe distance for photographing operating tesla coils with digital cameras?

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have taken many pics of TC's in action. Generally the cameras are not sensitive to the RF presumably as they are encased in a metal body. I have wrapped them in foil with a hole for the lens at times. I also have modified a tin box that will fit either my digital, SLR or video camera attached to the tripod and I use this if I am concerned. No problems so far. I typically take shots from 3-4 times spark length away to get sufficient field of view.

Your TC pictures show the sparks blurred and this is a function of your camera rather than interference. Some cameras including yours just don't show sparks well. Interference tends to be vertical lines rather than individual pixels which are an indication of low light and turning up the exposure or auto-exposure. You would have to try a different camera although possibly a UV filter (or a thick piece of normal glass) might work .

BTW I use a tripod for virtually all my shots. A few other photo tips are here:
http://tesladownunder.com/Misc.htm#Photos

Peter

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer" <garryfre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Recently, I posted a url to my website that has some pictures of my tesla
coil in the photography Usenet group and the subject came up about the main
picture here ....
http://home.pacbell.net/garryfre/
and what is the minimum "safe" distance one should be from a tesla coil when
taking a picture, given the output power or voltage of the coil before it
starts messing with the camera.