Re: Async BPS and LTR

Hi,

At 05:26 PM 8/2/2005, you wrote:
Could someone give me briefing on the relationship between BPS and tank
capacitor size?

The cap has to charge to full voltage between firings. In general, the higher the BPS, the less charging time there is, and thus a small cap is needed. But the NST runs at 60Hz AC so that dominates the charging time.

I am designing a propeller style ARSG with a maximum BPS (no limiting
through variac) of 433 BPS

You would be much better off with a sync gap at 120 BPS. Higher than 120 BPS does not gain you much and async gaps are about 1/2 the efficiency.

You might get far better performance with just a simple fixed spark gap.

Does BPS effect the size of tank cap I need? Or can I just match it to my
NST as I would a static gap circuit?

BPS matters a lot.

I have read quite a bit in the archives about Larger Than Resonance. This
seems like a very prudent element to build in. However, with an ARSG running
at 433 BPS will I be putting enough charge into the capacitors if they are
sized at LTR?

No. LTR cap sizes need 120 BPS. I would say to used a fixed gap and not mess with the rotary async gap.

Cheers,

        Terry

Questions, questions, and a host of networked humans.

Thank you!

--Ethersmith