Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Hi Dmitry,

My only point is that the molicule that is ionizing doesnt know whether the field is uniform or not. It only knows what the field strength is that it finds itself in. I'm looking at field strength at a point in space (OK... air) and not as a voltage across a whole meter. Yes, you dont need as high a voltage with a smaller ROC to get 3MV/m. Antonio's breakout program (INCA) uses 3MV/m as the field strength needed at the surface of the object to acquire breakout, I believe (at least that's what the field map says).

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Gerry.

> Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I believe the 3MV/m is also for a nonuniform field. If the E field
> is at this level only within an inch of the surface of the toroid,
> that inch of air will breakdown and start forming a streamer. Yes???
>
> Gerry R.
>
> >Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >The real aspect to this is that 3MV/m is for a uniform field, and
> >the fields around a TC are nowhere near uniform. The radius of
> >curvature of a typical topload is probably in the 5-20 cm range,
> >which would imply a breakdown voltage in the 150-600 kV
> >range. Naturally, if your topload isn't nice and smooth (e.g. it's
> >made of corrugated aluminum ducting), the breakdown voltage will be > >MUCH
> >lower.

for a nonuniform field you don`t need so high voltages - it would be enough much smaller.

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/msr/spk/index.html

>> Dont worry about your English.  You speak better English than I do
>> Russian.

well, actually it`s not my english - at first i planned to post by myself,
but i was too lazy to translate,  so currently Grishka helps me with things.
my english is much worse - ask Antonio :-)))

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59