Re[2]: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tl> Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tl> At 02:35 PM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>>Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Hello Jim, all,
>>
>>Based on my readings there are 3 different situations for breakdown:
>>
>>- small gaps (some cm), Efield required 30 kV/cm, breakdown with
>>avalanche (Townsend).
>>- medium gaps (< 1 m), Efield required 5 kV/m, breakdown with stable
>>streamers and final jump.
>>- large gaps (> 1 m), Efield required only 1 kV/m, breakdown with
>>leader-streamer phases and final jump.
>>
>>These phenomena are very well documented, although usually with
>>different names and in not such a clear manner. So, for a 2 m
>>breakdown you need a 30 kV/m on the toroid surface, then at least
>>some 5 kV/m within 1 m from it and the rest of the travel will
>>succeed if 1 kV/m can be ensured.

Tl> Indeed... for instance, lightning typically starts in a field of a few kV/m.

Tl> Bazelyan and Raizer have a fair amount of description of breakdown
Tl> conditions in non-uniform fields at high voltages, although not such
Tl> a nice table as you have created.

coz reality is not so simple like this "table" - too much various
factors and conditions must be taken into account.

-----
I am skeptical about space aliens too, but space aliens have a greater
probability of existence in my opinion than extra garage space...
(c) Richard Quick  6-07-95 03:59