To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 3:20 AM
Subject: Re: 1994 article

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: coils@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey coilers,
I was just given this 94' article about Tesla, Tesla Coils, and the
Extraordinary Science Conference.  Some parts of the article really
disturb me. like how Tesla coils are not used in modern experiments. Most
of it is off topic, but if you are interested, have a read.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/teslacoil/article/

Interesting article. Quite negative on Tesla and some of his fans, but realistic. Tesla coils are really quite problematic devices when one attempts to use them for other purposes than electrical pyrotechnics, but they are used in some special applications. The comment about Tesla coils being not present in everyday electronic devices is really true. Induction coils and flyback transformers, although closely related to Tesla coils, are different devices. Serious scientists recognize the value of the work done by Tesla, and forgive him for his weird unpractical ideas. Many others suffered from similar failures, but just didn't get so much attention. The main problem with Tesla-related things is the close relation with pseudoscience, specially when including mad ideas as "free energy", "over-unity" devices or similar nonsense, things that even Tesla at his worst times would look with suspicion.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz