Re: 2nd light of the "Green Monster"

Rob,

Well, I haven't ran the specs through some of the fancy computer programs available to get all of the measurements of the coil's
parameters. When it comes to coil design and construction, I tend to be more practical than theoretical (I just like to see BIG sparks;^)
but I can give some physical specs on it:

TOROID: 12x56 made from 4 sections of 6 ft extended length 12" aluminum flex duct. available from
McMaster-Carr.

SECONDARY COIL: 1260 turns of #19 AWG green enameled magnet wound on 49" of a 12.5" OD
gray PVC duct pipe. Finished coil then coated with several coats of Min Wax Spar
Varnish. The bottom winding of the secondary coil sits at 5/8" above the plane
of the primary coil.

PRIMARY COIL: 12 turns of 5/8 OD copper tubing wound in the classic Archemedian spiral with about 1/2"
spacing between adjacent turns and the innermost turn at 15" dia and the outermost
(12th) turn at 40" in dia. The strike shield is also made of 5/8" OD copper tubing and is
about 40" in dia and is elevated about 4" above the plane of the primary coil. The primary
coil is tapped at about 10 2/3 turns for optimum tuning with the 12x56 toroid.

PRIMARY CAP: 0.1 vFD, 50 Kv Hipotronics commercial pulse cap obtained from Jeff Parisse of KVA
Effects.

POWER TRANSFORMER: 240/14,400 volt, 15 KVA dual HV bushing, pole mount distribution transformer.
There is an 18 kV rated distribution arrester across the HV output bushings
of the pole "pig" transformer to act as an overvoltage clamp in palce of a safety
gap.

CONTROL: (2) 240/0.280 volt, 28 amp 1256D powerstats paralleled. Ballasting is via the guts of a 225
amps Lincoln AC Arc Welder set at 225 amps and submerged in oil inside of an old tank of an
x-ray HV divider. ASRG motor control through a 120/0-140 volt @ 10 amp panel mount variac.

SPARK GAP: ASYNCH rotary type made with a 0-130 VDC, 2.5 HP , 3500 rpm treadmill duty electric motor
that drives an 11"x1/2" electrical grade fiberglass disc with (8) 3/8"x2.5" t.c.( tungsten carbide)
drill blanks for rotary electrodes. The 2 stationary electrodes are 1/2"x3" t.c.drill blanks
mounted in a 1.25" square x2" long brass pillar block. The ARSG is seriesed with a forced
air cooled RQ type stationary gap. The RQ gap consist of (4) 2"dia x 4" long copper
pipe segments forming 3 seriesed gaps that are 1mm to 2mm wide. The RQ style gap was added
as an additional item to the original plan due to excessive heating of the rotory gap electrodes.
The t.c. drill blanks and the electrical grade fiberglass material for the rotory disc were pur-
chased from McMaster-Carr.

FILTERING: This is achieved through a 3~ 440 volt @ 80 amps per phase line filter where the "hot"
lines of the 240 volt input are ran through 2 of the 3 phase positions of the 30 lb line filter.

MISC: 60 amp cicuit breaker main power switch, panel metering of voltage and current, switched contactor
to energize/de-energize the main transformer. Transmission lines from pole pig to coil base are
a 60 ft. long pair of 75 kV rated x-ray cables with the outer metal braid sheathing grounded to
mains ground. RF grounding via 6 ft of 2-0 AWG welding cable attached to (3) 8 ft long x 5/8"
diameter copper clad ground rods driven nearly all the way into the soil. The ground rods are
interconnected with #4 AWG solid copper ground wire.

Hope this gives you a better idea of the parameters of this coil until I
can get some pics to hot-streamer.com, hopefully this upcoming week.

David Rieben