Re: re: 2nd light of the "Green Monster" - sec vs. pri height

Original poster: DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonathon,

This affects the primary/secondary inductive coupling.
With smaller coils, optimum coupling (the point at where
maximum output sparks are achieved WITHOUT racing sparks
running up and down the surface of the secondary coil)is
generally achieved with the bttom of the secondary coil
level with or slightly below the plane of the primary
coil, assuming that the primary coil is of the flat Ar-
chemedian spiral design and assuming that the secondary
coil is in the typical aspect ratio range (4:1 to 5:1).
However, with the design of large, high powered coils of-
ten dictates lower optimum coupling than with smaller coils.
Large secondary coils often run at the lower end of or be-
low the typical aspect ratio and the output spark of a
large well designed and tuned system can reach up to 3
times the length of the secondary coil. Dr. Resonance has
suggested that the bottom of the secondary can be as high
as 7" to 9" above the primary plane for very large coils.
Having your secondary's verticle placement permanently
adjustable is a great feature to have in your coil. On the
down side, that feature is quite difficult to build into
a coil system and I my mechanical aptitude wasn't up to
par to allow me to build that into my coil ;^(

David Rieben

David Rieben