Re: Teslas Ball Lightning

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all, I thought I would squeeze this comment in before the Terry closes
the thread down.

I am a serous BL skeptic(of the type of BL that floats around and passes
thru objects). But I do not view all the less skeptical BL people as fringe
science, weird science or pseudoscientific. I think many have a  genuine
scientific curiosity  about BL. You may have read my post on Bead Lightning.
It would not be a huge step for me to believe that a single ball sometimes
forms near the ground.  With the right down draft its inherent buoyancy
could be countered and be observed for a fraction of a second. But if BL is
anything to do with Bead Lightning I would expect numerous observations of
multiply balls and balls that float up most of the time.  So I remain a
serous skeptic but an open minded one i.e. I will be a believer one brain
processing cycle after I see the hard evidence. Perhaps we can persuade Bill
Gates or someone else with loads of money to put up a prize for the first
person to produce hard evidence of BL. Note: the prize for ghost evidence
has gone uncollected for many years.

Polarizing the debate with claims of  narrow mindedness or openness does not
progress the discussion in anyway. We are all human (a reasonable
hypothesis), so we do have an urge to be right and to be believed. But at
some point don't you have to agree to disagree if only so you have time to
look for BL evidence or not.

Pseudoscientific is one thing. Its an other thing to be on the fringe of
science.
Take for example Malcolm Watts or Terry. They appear much less skeptical
about BL than I but I would not describe their views as weird science or
pseudoscientific.
They are receptive to the idea of BL but want more evidence.

Obviously an individuals knowledge of the principals of physics and the
scientific method vary from say a tenured Professor to a 15 year old with an
interest in science.
In part this accounts for the popularity of  "pseudoscience" and the other
part is its one heck of a lot easer to read and believe in many
pseudoscience theories than say  quantum mechanics.
Most people want BL, free energy, cold fusion, life after death etc to exist
it would make science and the world more fun and interesting. Personally I
like the idea of teleportation, the traffic round here is heck.

Robert (R. A.) Jones
A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl
407 649 6400