Re: DC power on Tesla secondary

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/12/05 9:45:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
The more rapidly it can be
charged the more frequently it can discharge. I guess it could be
charged from the tank circuit via a diode, but this is only perhaps
10 - 20 kV peak. Of course, extend the primary out with double the
turns and you double the voltage but this is taking power from the TC.
I was wrong about the cap being near the tank cap value. It will
only matter if it is close to the toroid (and distributed) capacitance.

Perhaps what Lou did was use his two caps in a voltage doubler configuration. Of course, by building any kind of multiplier you're increasing the complexity. And any charging setup hanging off the tank side would eat up a LOT of energy. Especially if it had to charge big multi-kJ caps at anywhere near the TC's BPS.
It would be very impressive if you could dump "only" 1kJ extra into every single bang. At only 100 BPS, that's still a lot of oomph. And a lot of wear and tear on those "booster caps".

-Phil LaBudde