RE: Toroid Building

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mass makes __zero__ difference.

What makes the difference is the diameter and size - surface area.

Think about this for a minute -- even if you are new to the list; there
are archives and if you go back over them, you can see that people have
been making styrofoam toroids and running them successfully.  My toroid
is made from spun aluminum -- a light metal and a hollow structure with
very little mass.

My guess is that mass not considered, your manhole ring will probably
perform poorly.  Although its major diameter is fairly large (the
overall diameter), I would guess that the minor diameter (the diameter
of the ring part itself) is fairly small -- you want this to be large
(6" minimum).

You can make a great toroid from a plywood disk and some aluminum
clothes dryer duct.  Go back through the archives, there are lots of
emails on how people did this and issues they ran into and how they
solved them.