Re: The Electrum Project

Original poster: "Dmitry (father dest)" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Boris.

> Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

> Simply put,you may take that still hot channel serves
> as a kind of 'waveguide' to a dart leader.
> It might be surprising at first glance,but dart
> leaders are more like the oldest of the known types of
>   propagating plasma channels:streamers!

[...]

> From the foregoing,it is my understanding that the
> dart leader,contrary to its name,is principaly not
> leader at all.
> It is sort of a superlong HV streamer in a 'waveguide'

i`ve recently remembered i`ve got one more book - Balelyan & Raizer,
"Physics of lightning and physics of lightning protection"
today i`ve looked through it a bit - have you read it? coz i can name
pages numbers where it`s written practically word for word what you
have told me above %-)

> The stepped leader influences the spark lenght but old
> portions of channel might be fastly conductively
> revived by  "dart leaders" however.

portion of what channel?
if this channel appeared after arc from toroid to the ground, then
there`s no energy in toroid for new discharge - it was all spent
into the arc. even if the portion of energy was transfered from
primary to the toroid after the discharge, then its energy (toroid
voltage) is not enough to cause a new breakdown from the toroid.

and if it`s a channel from the previous discharge into air (not groung
arc), then why d`you think the dart leader would take place there - why
not stepped leader? speaking about natural lightning, dart leader it`s
a discharge, that take place after the arc to the ground - in a hot
channel, that was left by that arc. if the streamer is able to heat
the air to such a high temperature like the ground discharge? if not -
maybe it`s even not a dart leader at all?

> Anycase,the benefit of using larger isotropic
> capacites I find in:

> d)As arc grows,its loading effect detunes 2-coil
> system.

3-coil system detunes too, as well as 2-coil?

> Tunning point shift should be generally less
> problematic for systems having resonators with big top
> capacities.

comparing the streamer capacitance and toroid one - yes, but the big
toroid produce bigger ion cloud across itself - this cloud detunes it
more than smaller toroid, or in the same way - proportionally?

> e)Lower resonating frequency and higher Q .

Qs is proportional to sqrt [Ls/(Ctop+Cs)] - how could Ctop increasing
cause increasing of Qs?