Re: Capacitor voltage - AC or DC

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/27/05 10:41:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

Somehow, someday, somebody, has to do something... :-))

Probably the "last unknown" of MMCs is how long the (CD 942C20P15K)
will tolerate say 60Hz at 6000Vp-p....

Maybe do a bunch of different voltages to make a nice graph of
'lifetime vs. over voltage'...

That would tell us all we still want to know...

Cheers,

        Terry

Hi Terry,All,

To get a meaningful number, we would need to look at the distribution of lifespans of, say, 6 to 10 caps at each voltage. This would also result in some QC data for the "identical" caps. Soon as I free up ~$200 I will be happy to kill some some caps for science. My gut feeling is that higher voltage = both shorter lives AND narrower distribution of lifetimes. It will be fun to find out. Thirty caps at each voltage would provide really statistically significant numbers. Maybe 3 people testing 10 caps at each voltage, or 5 people testing 6 at each voltage?

Matt D.