Re: Formula document feedback

Hi Terry,

8. PFC: Doesn't the required PFC depend on where one is operating wrt to Cres ex: STR operation can't use PFC cap. PF at Cres is already 1.0. Does this formula assume 1.6*Cres for static or 2.8*Cres for SRSG, or what???

Hmmm.... Sounds like you know more then me there!!! Should I fix something???

Remember when we were investigating the ferroresonant problem and the PF snapped to 1.0 at resonance. Required PFC is a function of Cp/Cres and is the correction requires a capacitance for LTR and an inductance for STR. It would take a little equation pushing but I think easy to do. If you would like to pursue it someday, I would be happy to work on the equations.

The following were just a brainstorm event (everything I could think of without regard to need or doability).

Other formulas:

SRSG LTR caps for PPS 240(200)

Whaaa??  If someone is running double BPS, that is beyond "me"...

I dont know, it was you that wanted me to have 8 electrodes to my rotor to look at 240BPS :o))

Breakout table for various sizes of toroids (I think the results from INCA could be normalized for various aspect ratios.

I really don't trust breakout voltages or formulas... I never have seen them "work right"...

Someday, I want to try your plane wave antenna with a amp driving the cable. I know you have already tested it to be accurate, but that was with steady state excitation. My spice showed this to be OK, it was the transcient response that I was concerned with. If the spice result was "real", your measurement might undermeasure the first peak voltage that broke out. Once breakout occurs, I'm thinking, the streamer geometry will determine the next breakouts for subsequent peaks of that bang. Antonio seems fairly adament about the breakout being correct and it would be nice to verify that one way or the other. If we (or I) can do that and INCA turns out to be correct, we can always do that later. Right now, the beginner has no way to even guess on an appropriate toroid size without asking for guidance. Stay tuned (but dont hold your breath) :o))

Transformer impedance converion from pri to sec, sec to pri

I am not sure anyone needs that???

Can be useful for PFC calculation and for those that run at resonance (or close to it). Agreed most dont need it.

Maximum power vs secondary size table

:-))))  A very flexible table :o))

It would be an approximation for newbies, I suppose

I have a formula That predicts BPS for static gaps based on applied_line_voltage/rated_line_voltage, Cp/Cres ratio, Vgap/Vs_oc_peak ratio.

?????? :-)))

Bart implemented it into Javatc (although he didnt do it completely correctly). We can talk about it sometime, if you like, and bring you upto speed.

Peak primary current equation

They can figure that out from what is given if they really know that much...

Newbies probably cant and they need this to design a MMC correctly (simple formula)

Peak secondary current equation,

Who uses that :-)))

Some may find it useful for wire guage selection, I suppose.

RMS primary current estimate equation (maybe assume a linear decay in the energy transfer time)

Be nice if we knew of one???????  DRSSTCs really need that one bad!!!!

Needed for MMC design and I think it would be easy to approximate it (on the conservative side) based on energy transfer time, BPS, 1st notch quenching, and initial peak current.

Energy transfer time based on K

Cool!!  But I never used it or really cared???

If you wanted to estimate RMS current in the MMC, you would want it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was a bad boy and did not use many of them :oP but I considered them all ;-))))

You can never be a bad boy when you are contributing to the group :o)))

Gerry R.