Re: Tesla coil formula

Original poster: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3 Dec 2005, at 16:37, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Mr Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Very few sites list Teslas equation for wire length resonance:
>
> C/(4 x wire length) = 1 / 2pi sqrt(LC)
>
> None of the sites list the general form for wire length resonance that
> Larry Morris and myself have developed and extensivly tested.
>
> n/2 x  C/(wire length) = 1 / 2pi sqrt ( u/4pi x(wire length/ 2n)sqrd x
> (2n/l)x Cap.)
>
>   Where n = 1/2 for a quarter wave
>   Where n = 2/2 for a half wave
>   Where n = 4/2 for a full wave etc......
>
> Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis

I'd like to respecfully suggest that that may be because you have
to effectively introduce a fiddle factor by adding a specific amount
of terminal capacitance to make it work (and what's worse, adjust
that capacitance for a specific coil geometry). We have come full
circle. Discovering that hidden factor in in a plethora of wirelength
equations (all of which were sworn as gospel by their proponents)
back in the eighties was where I began my investigations which led
to my adopting the now popular L and C approach.

Malcolm