An SCR by any Name....Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

> Wikipedia (not that Wikipedia is an authority on such matters)
 right.
> defines it thus:
> "Some resources define silicon controlled rectifiers and thyristors as
> synonymous, while others define SCRs as a subset of thyristor".

> I had always thought that SCR was the generic term and thyristors, gate
> turn off and triacs etc where subsets (even diacs).
  SCR is a Silicon COntrolled RECTIFIER, inherently a 'unipolar'
  device, a controllable rectifier.

   A TRIAC is inherently bipolar (tho could, i guess, be
   used in psuedo SCR mode.)

   A DIAC, likewise, is bipolar, and without the 'control'
   aspect.

   I should put them in different families.

> We probably should assume its an open question.
   I suggest the names should refelct the function/physics.
   Once these be unbderstood, the names follow.

   (Historically: 'thyristor' (as a word) was derived 'thyratron',
    a mercury vapor/liquid device of Very Similar Use, tho
    different physics.  If Pressed I shall fetch my
    GE SCR Handbook, and....  8)>>)

   best
    dwp