Re: Capacitor Help

Hi,

You should start thinking about "tuning". The frequency of the primary circuit needs to be tuned to the same frequency as the secondary circuit. Now is a good time to get a rough idea of the tuning to be sure you won't end up with a coil that will not tune. So it is time to do the math or let Bart's program do it for you...

We know that primary capacitance is 8.33nF. From the details you give below, we can calculate the maximum inductance of the primary coil.

Lf = (N x R)^2 / (8 x R + 11 x W)
Lf = (7.5 x 6)^2 / (8 x 6 +11 x 6) = 17.8uH

The frequency is:

Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(L x C))
Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(17.8e-6 x 8.3e-9)) = 414kHz

So right now, the secondary has to tune to 414kHz or higher (using less primary turns will raise the frequency).

We can make some guesses about the secondary. For a 15/30 NST, the Freau formula gives a maximum spark length of 36 inches. 1/2 that (18 inches) should be reasonable to avoid a lot of primary to secondary arcing. We can guess at a 18 x 4 topload centered 6 inches above the secondary. It can be say 4.5 inches in diameter. From these dimensions, we can use E-Tesla6 or Barts on-line program to guess at the secondary capacitance. It will be roughly 25.5pF.

The secondary inductor is say 18 inches of #27 wire on a 4.5 inch diameter form. #27 wire winds 65 turns per inch

Lh = (N x R)^2 / (9 x R + 10 x H)
Lh = (18x69 x 2.25)^2 / (9 x 2.25 + 10 x 18) = 39mH

The secondary frequency is:

Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(L x C))
Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(39e-3 x 25.5e-12)) = 159.6kHz

So there is a significant problem. The secondary will tune about 160kHz and the primary will tune about 400kHz.... We need to either raise the secondary frequency and/or lower the primary frequency.

From your picture, it looks like you could splice in more tubing to get say 11 turns at 24 inches.

Lf = (N x R)^2 / (8 x R + 11 x W)
Lf = (11 x 7.5)^2 / (8 x 7.5 +11 x 9) = 42.8uH

That drops the primary frequency to:

Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(L x C))
Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(42.8e-6 x 8.3e-9)) = 267kHz

That helps a lot!  See if you can stuff in more primary turns for sure!!!

You might consider making the secondary shorter and or thinner to raise it's frequency. A 12 inch secondary is a little short but with a top breakout point.... If it were 12 inches:

Lh = (N x R)^2 / (9 x R + 10 x H)
Lh = (12x69 x 2.25)^2 / (9 x 2.25 + 10 x 12) = 24.7mH

Whish would raise the secondary frequency:

Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(L x C))
Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(25e-3 x 25.5e-12)) = 200kHz

For a significantly shorter secondary the frequency raised some but not a great deal really. You are probably best off buy finding a way to add a whole lot more turns to the primary. It looks like you have about 1 turn/inch now. Could you double the number of notches for 2 turns/inch?

It is probably not a good idea to go with a really skinny secondary. It could be "space wound" but I would not recommend that to a beginner that does not have about a mile of extra wire...

So...  I think you need to get more primary turns....

Lp x Cp = Ls x Cs
Lp x 8.3e-9 = 39e-3 x 25.5e-12   So Lp = 120uH

So you need a little over 120uH of primary inductance....

These numbers are just guesses out of the air, but it does certainly seem like you need a lot more primary turns!!!!

Bart's program or many other programs can do the calculations.

http://www.classictesla.com/fantc/fantc.html

Beware that I tend to make math mistakes too. So if something does not seem right, double check me...

BTW - We can find the peak current estimate now...

Ipeak = Vf / SQRT(Lp / Cp)
Ipeak = 21000 / SQRT(120e-6 / 8e-9) = 171 amps.

The caps you are getting are rated at 171 amps!!!! You obviously had that all planned :o))))

BBTW - Since your primary diameter is the same as the height of the coil, you coupling may be high (0.16). Plan on being able to raise the secondary coil up some...

Cheers,

        Terry