Re: Build own capacators

Original poster: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On 15 Dec 2005, at 13:54, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> I can't agree that its because they need to.
> As you suggest, in a parody presumable of Mallory famous words,  its because
> they can.
>
> Continuing in the same theme.  After Mallory's body was found on Everest it
> reignited the question of whether or not he had reached the summit.
> Mallory's son John Mallory took an objective view of the implications: 'To
> me the only way you achieve a summit is to come back alive. The job is half
> done if you don't get down again.'
> Perhaps when building a primary cap the achievement is not just building one
> but getting it to work for more than ten minutes. LOL
> So the more certainty with which home made caps are denigrated the more
> certain it is that someone will want to prove it wrong.
>
> Robert (R. A.) Jones
> A1 Accounting, Inc., Fl

At a time when I badly needed a low-ESR cap I designed a dry-
fired model. Known about beforehand was that its lifetime would be
limited due to internal corona cracking the plastic. But since I had
access to nothing else at the time, I did it and should the need
arise, would do it again. Up time came to about 1/2 an hour of
intermittent use (i.e. 1/2 hour of runtime) before the plastic failed.

 Its virtues:
- cheap.  A 12m roll of 300mm wide Al cooking foil was all the
conductor needed to build a 0.1uF cap capable of withstanding a
test voltage of 15kVDC. 12m of 0.25mm thick LDPE with a width of
about 1.2m completed the capacitor. A 300mm long x 6mm thick x
50mm wide piece of acrylic sheet was used to wind the capacitor
around.
- could be built in about an hour. Ideally needs two people to roll it.

The above capacitor was described in detail in my EW&WW March
1995 article and performed as well as its MMC replacement which
cost approximately NZ$230 to build. Before the MMC was built the
coil was exhibited on an open day using the above cap design. We
simply built two spares and as soon as the first failed, we hooked
the second one in and were running again in a matter of seconds.

Malcolm
.