RE: Lead Free (was Re: CD MMC caps from DigiKey...)

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt@xxxxxxxxxx>

To All
When I get my new C-D 942's to replace my saltwater caps I will solder
them with my roll of Kester "44". Back in the early 60's I had to pass a
test so I could solder cannon plugs on cables for the Navy. We use many
spray cans of Mozel (not sure of spelling)to clean up after soldering,
also if any thing was going to get too hot we went over to the big roll
of asbestos , cut some off with tin snips ,sneezed from the dust, wet it
down, wrapped the part and did our job. The silver solder had a lot of
cadmium in it so you would turn on a small fan. Need to clean a small
part, we had a can of carbon-tetrachloride to dip it in.
 Oh' did I bother to say I almost died of throat cancer. As the bad
stuff goes away life gets better

The other Rich, from the middle of Missouri.

Original poster: "marc" <xp88@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello All,

I work in the medical electronics industry, and lead based solder is
definitely OUT forever!
But, for home stuff (tesla coils, car stereo, tinkering with circuits,
etc)
you won't find anything better than a good old roll of Kester "44" rosin
core solder.

Marc