Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 1:00 PM

> Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Malcolm,
>
> Very nicely done, indeed! Heck, I think yours is
> prettier than mine. I see you went ahead and upped
> the size of the PVC pipe for your runners. Strike
> ring looks neat, too. I think most coilers connect
> the strike ring to RF ground.

What exactly is RF ground?  Is there not just one common ground that's the
green ground wire from the 110 v mains power?

 Some knowledgable
> folks will tell you that it's "bad" to splce the safe-
> ty gap directly across the capacitors' output ter-
> minals. They site the heavy short circuits being
> injurous to the capacitor(s). I think most coilers
> place the safety gap across the output terminals
> of the high voltage transformer instead.

Yeah that's what I'm hearing from others.  I'm not I understand how it works
just yet because it's just in parallel with the main spark gap which is
already providing a path for current?

> All in all,
> you should end up with a great looking coil,
> though, especially for a first time project.

I sure hope so.  Thanks for the kind words.

Malcolm - KC