Re: Simulation vs. Experimentation

At 08:17 AM 12/16/2005, you wrote:

I just hope all this discussion doesn't discourage newcomers! Get or make a capacitor, wind a secondary, guess at the primary inductance needed (pencil and paper calculation just fine), make a primary out of scrap wire with a few extra turns, fire it up and adjust the tap! I enjoy these simulations too but for someone who isn't computer literate they might be frightening.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I think the newcomers are the ones that always want a computer program to do everything for them ;-)) In fact, I am not sure they make "pencil and paper" literate kids any more :o)) Sooner or latter, there will probably be someone who thinks Tesla coiling is only a computer simulation game and they will be "shocked" to find out there really are "real" Tesla coils ;-)))

In the past a lot of first coils were all messed up due to the lack of calculations (mine was), but today, things are far easier and the programs simply help. We can happily supply the equations for those that like calculators. We can also supply educated hints to those that just put it all together and see what happens.

I think the fact most "first" coils now work really well, only helps more people catch on to Tesla coils. And the calculations and computers or mostly to thank for that.

Cheers,

        Terry