Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Gary,

I agree to not let our guard down with LTR. I suspect that when the variac is slowly cranked up, transients are still being introduced although they are probably less than when the power is applied all at once.

Gerry R"

The leakage reactance of the transformer varies with input voltage and hence the flux density in the core and, with the right secondary capacitor, it's possible to get a condition in which a ferroresonance occurs and the voltage soars dramatically, perhaps to breakdown levels.
First time I ran into this I blew up a Simpson 260 on the 5 kV scale.
Ed