Re: MMC Design and Wiring

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Should an MMC be wired so that the current flows in opposite directions
in adjacent capacitors in a series string(to reduce inductance in the
primary circuit)?

As far as I know, that was something I came up with when I was working on OLTCs. They typically have a primary inductance less than 1uH, so even a couple hundred nanohenries of stray inductance can hurt performance.

On a spark-gap coil (or a DRSSTC for that matter) the primary has a much higher inductance, so the inductance of your cap bank can be ignored, unless you decide to make a 40 foot long capacitor or something.

>Can I place the strings in close
proximity to one another without danger of arc over between strings?

I put mine pretty close:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/newcapsnewdanger.jpg

This was a MMC cap rated at 12.5nF, 22kV, with four strings of 15 caps. I used it in a DC resonant charging coil with a DC bus voltage of 10kV, and never had any trouble. Each cap has a 10 Meg VR37 bleeder resistor across it. The picture is from this page:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/t21m.html

Unused strings are a different matter altogether, though. They need a lot more clearance.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/